Welcome to Rail Map online
RailMapOnline.com provides interactive maps of past & present railways. Click on the maps below to start exploring.
|UK & Ireland Railways||US West Railroads||UK & Irish Canals|
|UK image - ©2016 Google, Imagery ©2016 Data SIO, NOAA, U.S.Navy, NGA, GEBCO, Landsat,IBCAO, Map data ©2016 GeoBasis-DE/BKG (©2009)||US image - ©2018 Google, Data SIO, NOAA, U.S.Navy, NGA, GEBCO. Image Landsat/Copernicus. US Dept of State Geographer.||UK image - ©2017 Google, Map Data ©2017 GeoBasis-DE/BKG (©2009), Google, Inst.Geogr.Nacional|
|Railway tracks depicted ©2020 RailMapOnline.com||Railroad tracks depicted ©2020 RailMapOnline.com||Canals depicted ©2020 RailMapOnline.com|
Please email comments, suggestions and corrections to Feedback@RailMapOnline.com
26 May 2020
- UK and US Map: Modern railway layer updated, with latest OpenStreetMap data.
23 May 2020
- US Map: OR Counties along the Columbia River redrawn, covering Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam, Morrow and Umatilla.
- UK Map: Richmond Light Rly (thanks Dave), Cotswolds Heritage Ltd Rly, Waddington Fire Training Facility (thanks Matt) added.
21 May 2020
- Canals: Features added for the Grantham canal with proposed alternative route to the River Trent, the Caister canal, the Foss Dyke, the Louth navigation and the South Forty Fooot Drain (Black Sluice Navigation).
16 May 2020
- UK Map: Craig-yr-Hafod tramway added, near Abergavenny (thanks Alan). Summerfields’ Miniature Railway (Bedford MES) added (thanks John). Mill Hill (Blackburn) horse drawn tramway added (thanks Fred).
9 May 2020
- You can now buy me a coffee at Ko-fi and help support the website.
- UK Map: Remainder of County Durham is redrawn, covering Durham, Chester-le-Street and Hetton.
3 May 2020
- Canals: Features added to the Leominster Canal and Horncastle Canal.
2 May 2020
- UK Map: A large part of County Durham is redrawn, including Bishop Auckland, Ferryhill, Seaham, Castle Eden, Trimdon, Spennymoor and Willington.
18 Apr 2020
- UK Map: Huddersfield & Mirfield redrawn. Also West Auckland to Butterknowle redrawn, including addition of the Bishop Auckland Miniature Rly.
13 Apr 2020
- Canals: Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal features added.
4 Apr 2020
- Canals: Birmingham Canal Navigations (BCN) features added. Plus a big update that sees all abandoned canals now shown in green.
- UK Map: Gretna Township added, plus the Sheppey Model Engineering Society, and a number of minor additions.
28 Mar 2020
- US Map: CA Mariposa, Tuolumne, Calaveras counties redrawn. Includes Pickering, West Side, Madera Sugar Pine and Yosemite Lumber companies, plus the Hetch Hetchy RR and Yosemite Short Line.
21 Mar 2020
- US Map: Oregon's Klamath, Deschutes, Jefferson, Lake, Crook counties redrawn. Many more logging railroads, plus Klamath Falls, Bend, Prineville and Madras.
- UK Map: Halifax Zoo miniature rly added.
15 Mar 2020
- US Map: Shasta, Siskiyou, Modoc counties redrawn, completing north-east California. Includes addition of the Long Bell Lumber RR and Pacific Gas & Electric Co, plus more detail for the McCloud River RR and Klamath Lake RR.
29 Feb 2020
- UK Map: Consett and upper Weardale redrawn.
15 Feb 2020
- US Map: CA. Redding & Red Bluff detailed, plus Sierra & Nevada counties tidied.
- Canals: Manchester & Salford Junction added.
26 Jan 2020
- Canals: Thorne and Hatfield Moors canals added to the map.
5 Jan 2020
- US Map: CA. Plumas and Lassen counties redrawn with lots of logging railroads, plus more added to Butte county. Includes the Red River, Clover Valley, Feather River, Nibbley Stoddard, Sloat, Massack, Lassen, and Sierra Lumber companies, plus Piute Canyon RR, California Fruit Exchange, Fruit Growers Supply Co, Great Western Power Co, Feather River Power Co, Diamond Match Co. and Butte & Plumas Rly.
21 Dec 2019
- US Map: NV. Remaining counties detailed in east, completing the Nevada map. Covering Ely, Eureka, Wells, Elko, Pioche, Caliente.
13 Dec 2019
- US Map: UT. Remaining counties detailed in south and east, completing the Utah map. Includes Iron, Beaver, Millard, Juab, San Pete, Sevier, Piute counties.
- US Map: NM. Rio Arriba, Taos, San Juan counties detailed, covering Chama and the line south to Santa Fe, plus various logging lines.
6 Dec 2019
- US Map: CO Duranga, Silverton, Alamosa plus branch to Farmington added, completing the Colorado map.
16 Nov 2019
- US Map: CO Pueblo, Trinidad, Las Animas added, including the Royal Gorge, Raton Pass, La Veta Pass.
9 Nov 2019
- US Map: CO Colorado Springs, Cripple Creek and north west counties added up to the Kansas border.
2 Nov 2019
- US Map: CO Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Greeley areas added to the map.
- UK Map: Wotton Light Rly, Southend Gas Works added.
28 Sept 2019
- US Map: North East Colorado added, from Grand Junction to Leadville and Salida, including the Tennessee Pass, Moffat Pass, Marshall Pass, Alpine Tunnel, Dallas Divide and lots of branches and narrow gauge lines.
7 Sept 2019
- US Map: UT Carbon, Emery, Grand counties detailed.
26 Aug 2019
- UK Map: Welwyn Light Rly added, plus Stobs POW camp and Catterick Camp detail.
27 June 2019
- US Map: MT Northern Montana added, following the Great Northern.
21 June 2019
- US Map: HI Most of Hawaii is redrawn with lots more detail for the plantation lines. Thanks to Richard for the detailed map of Kauai and links to some useful historic maps.
14 June 2019
- US Map: MT Southern Montana added, following the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Road across the Rockies.
- US Map: CA Greenhorn RR added.
31 May 2019
- US Map: Northern Wyoming counties added, following the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy.
- US Map: El Dorado county, CA detailed.
26 May 2019
- US Map: Southern Wyoming added, from Utah border to Cheyenne
19 May 2019
- US Map: Salt Lake, Utah, Tooele counties, UT detailed
10 May 2019
- US Map: Celebrating 150years since the Golden Spike, UT Box Elder (Promontory Summit), Weber (Ogden), Cache (Logan) and Morgan counties detailed.
4 May 2019
- UK Map: Much of North, South & West London redrawn.
9 Apr 2019
- UK Map: Leeds redrawn.
23 Feb 2019
- US Map: NV northwest counties detailed.
4 Jan 2019
- UK Map: Wakefield redrawn.