22 Dec 2016
- US Map: WA state, south west counties. Lots of logging railroads, and the mainline from Vancouver to Centralia.
18 Dec 2016
- Grimsby and Immingham get redrawn with much more detail. Plus more Lincs farm railways (thanks Peter) and the original Cleethorpes Miniature Rly (thanks Dave).
12 Dec 2016
- US Map: More WA railroads. Street running with Yakima Valley Transportation Co, logging with the Klickitat Log & Lumber Co, and mountain railroading across the Cascades at Stampede Pass, Snoqualmie Pass and Stevens Pass (including original switchback routes).
4 Dec 2016
- Thanks to your feedback, lots of new additions to the UK map. Includes Brocks Fireworks Factory (Cheam), Redding Explosives Works, Lincolnshire Coast Light Rly original line nr Cleethorpes, RAF Predannack launch track and additions to the Brecon Forest Tramroad. Thanks to Peter, Graeme, Dave, John, Ben and Derek.
27 Nov 2016
- US Map: Idaho (northern counties) added, and remainder of state refreshed.
- US Map: New 'Simple' background and OpenStreetMap background available.
18 Nov 2016
- US Map: Washington State (eastern counties) added.
30 Oct 2016
- US Map: Kern County, CA detail added, plus more corrections and Pacific Electric lines in LA, and San Diego interurban additions.
17 Oct 2016
- Edinburgh and North East London updated, with new features and sidings.
19 Aug 2016
- Buckinghamshire railways updated.
- Also Aldershot & Farnborough Tramway Co (thanks Jonathan), Oakfield Park rly (thanks Ian), Pleasure Island Miniature Rly and a few other missing lines (thanks Richard).
13 Aug 2016
- Essex refreshed with lots of tidying and new features.
- Mousehold Tramway added (thanks Richard), Radlett quarry and brick works (thanks Aleks), Ebbw Vale Cableway added and garden festival rly corrected (thanks Nyall), Maidenhead brick works (thanks Matthew).
8 Aug 2016
- Glenarm tramway, Co. Antrim (thanks Clive), Ramsgate miniature rly (thanks Mike), Dalmellington corrections (thanks Alan), Lowood's Rly (thanks Dave S), various station corrections (thanks Dave H).
1 Aug 2016
- Suffolk refreshed with new features and detail.
28 July 2016
- Norfolk gets a tidy with some new sidings and features added.
- Ickenham Miniature Rly (thanks Kevin), Littlethorpe Potteries nr Ripon (thanks Bob) and tramways and sidings in Essex, including Dengie Flat Target Rly (thanks Peter).
15 July 2016
- Stockbridge Rly coloured separately (thanks Dave S). Holy Island features and Dinorwic Rly route (thanks Dave H). Harrow & Wembley Society of Model Engineers (thanks Kevin). Amnerfield railway (thanks Llew). Cleobury, Mortimer & Ditton Priors Light Rly stations added, original Bideford station, and miniature rly at Canford Park, Bristol (thanks Graeme).
- The Bideford, Westward Ho! & Appledore Rly gets a small refresh.
3 July 2016
- Southern California refreshed with lots of new tracks and freight spurs added (including Baja California). See the US West Map
22 June 2016
- More halts in Lincolnshire, and detail for the West Somerset Mineral Rly, Padarn Rly and Dinorwic tramway (thanks Dave H). Various features around Stockbridge (thanks Dave S). RNAD Bull Point, the flagstone tramways around Thurso, and tramways in Shropshire (thanks Peter). Charlesfield Ammunition Depot (thanks Bob). Details around Chat Moss and Pingott Colliery (thanks Matt). Peel Brickworks, Caen Hill Locks contruction tramway and Nothe Fort (thanks Graeme). Savernake Ammunition Depot (thanks Llew). Smithfields GWR goods station (thanks George). Plymouth Miniature Steam (thanks Craig). More details for Belton Park military rly (thanks Sam). Fulford Barrack Ordnance Wharf tramway in York (thanks Jim).
22 May 2016
- Bridgend to Aberkenfig tramway (thanks John), Kinmel Camp and MOD Coypool (thanks Graeme), Ffestiniog Union Workhouse (thanks Matt).
- Also Hayle Towans and Crowlas Age of Steam miniature railways added.
12 May 2016
- New stations in Lincolnshire and Cumbria (thanks Dave).
4 May 2016
- Over 900 new features for Yorkshire, plus corrections and new stations.
30 Jan 2016
- Complete refresh for Merseyside, covering Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Widnes, Liverpool and Southport.
9 Jan 2016
- Additions to Leighton Buzzard Light Rly (thanks Chris), Berwick track ownership corrected (thanks Nigel), Hilsea Miniature Rly added (thanks Graham), and corrections to South Yorks colliery names (thanks Keith).
30 Dec 2015
- Far North and Kyle line stations added. This completes stations for Great Britain.
- Test track for the Lisbon Steam Tramway Company added at Buckhurst Hill.
- Barnstaple to Ilfracombe correction (thanks Chris), Causey Arch tramroad (thanks Peter), Manchester Picc-Vic tunnel, Airport tunnel and Heaton Park Tramway (thanks Matt), Carterhatch Lane station added (thanks John).
23 Dec 2015
- Highland Main Line stations and detail including Inverness.
- Also Brora Colliery tramway and the underground sidings at Box Tunnel (thanks Keith) and more at Orford Ness (thanks Peter).
14 Dec 2015
- ROF Ruddington, Ranskill and Radway Green detailed (thanks Keith), more NE Lincolnshire stations and detail (thanks David), Cranbrook added (thanks Chris L), Ardda tramway (thanks Chris M), Rochdale SMEE (thanks Matt). Plus Tommy Mann's miniature rly at New Brighton.
30 Nov 2015
- West Highland line refreshed and features added, including Fort William, Fort Augustus and Mallaig.
- Also corrections to the Wisbech & Upwell tramway (thanks Peter F).
24 Nov 2015
- Various Galloway tramways (thanks Peter), Wilmslow Peat Farm Rly (thanks Matt), correction at Beddgelert (thanks Chris) and Swindon village station (nr Cheltenham) added (thanks Ray).
16 Nov 2015
- RAF Harpur Hill (thanks Matt), RAF Heywood (thanks Stuart), various layouts of the Belle Vue Zoo Rly (thanks Chris), and Stansted Mountfitchet tramway (thanks Peter).
5 Nov 2015
- Hertfordshire gets a refresh and detailing.
- Also lots of corrections, sidings, tramways and miniature rlys - thanks to Peter, Matt, Howard, David, Roger and Chris.
22 Oct 2015
- Moray detail, stations and features added. Thanks to David for Forres and Findhorn corrections.
- Also thanks to Paul for more Belton Park Rly (Grantham) detail, and Keith for suggesting sidings around Evesham and near Retford.
12 Oct 2015
- Thanks to Peter for suggesting the Wembley Never Stop, Southend Never Stop, Kursaal Miniature Rly, Harlington Miniature Rly and Waterloo & Whitehall Pneumatic Rly. Also thanks to Matt for Coombes Rock tramway, and Chris for Kelmarsh Depot detail.
21 Sep 2015
- Lancashire gets a refresh, with 300 new features added and detail for Lancaster, Burnley, Morecambe & Carnforth.
- Dublin & South Eastern original line north of Greystones added (thanks John), Battledown Brick Works near Cheltenham (thanks James), Cracken Edge Quarry (thanks Matt) and Cumbrian tramways, RAF Halton narrow gauge and Brantham Xylonite Works (thanks Peter).
8 Sep 2015
- Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft get a refresh, including new tramways and the Barton House, Pleasurewood Hills, Burgh Hall, Parklands and earlier Great Yarmouth miniature railways. Thanks to Peter D for lots of information and suggestions.
- And thanks to Daniel for suggesting the Edinburgh Society of Model Engineers, and Peter M for the Belfast & Co.Down Miniature Rly.
2 Sep 2015
- Borders Rly new alignment and stations, plus Coventry Arena and Bermuda Park station.
- Butlin's Clacton, Bognor, Sheerness, plus Hunters Rest, Hotham Park, Shillingstone, East Links, Barnards, Alexandra Park miniature railways.
- South Cheshire, Mid Cheshire model engineers (thanks Jim), Maidstone Zoo, RNAS Kingsnorth, RNAS Howden and various other missing tramways (thanks Peter).
26 Aug 2015
- Angus and Aberdeenshire detail, stations and features.
20 Aug 2015
- Perthshire and Dundee detail, stations and features added.
13 Aug 2015
- Argyll & Bute gets a refresh and stations added.
- Plus the Dublin Luas Cross City Extension, due to open in 2017.
1 Aug 2015
- Major update, with detail, stations and features for Falkirk, Fife, Clackmannanshire and Stirling.
24 July 2015
- Mid Kent Jam Factory (thanks Nick), ROF Elstow and RAF Cardington (thanks Peter), Pot Kilns Tramway, Upminster (thanks Alan), more Chew Valley Rly (thanks Matt).
17 July 2015
- Bedfordshire refreshed, plus more Kings Lynn detail.
- Midland Metro Birmingham City Centre Extension added (thanks Richard for suggesting this track, due to open later this year).
12 July 2015
- Dunbartonshire updated, stations and features added.
- Ripponden Water Works railways (thanks Ben), more Tralee & Dingle detail (thanks Peter H), HMS Osea (thanks Richard), Canadian Forestry Corps Stanton Moor, mines around Eyam and Wellisford Canal Inclined Plane (thanks Peter D).
3 July 2015
- North Lanarkshire detail, stations and features added.
- Teignmouth Quay & Saltburn Miniature Rly (thanks Keith), Castlegregory Jnc (thanks Peter), Holyhead Coastguard Station (thanks Matt), Rustington & Ford airfield sidings (thanks Richard).
27 June 2015
- Some South Devon updates, including more detail for the Haytor Granite Tramway, Bovey Pottery Tramway, Brixham Breakwater Quarry Tramway and Totnes Quay branch.
- Buscot Narrow Gauge Rly added (thanks Chris).
18 June 2015
- Cambridgeshire refreshed with new features added.
- Seend Iron Works and Dodsdown tramway in Wiltshire added (thanks Llew), and the Conkers Rly and Snibston Colliery Rly added (thanks Peter) along with a few other miniature railways.
14 June 2015
- Added Derbyshire Dales Narrow Gauge, Steeple Grange Light Rly, Martin Baker Sled Track and Monkland Canal Blackhill Incline. Also some minor additions around Chesterfield, Thames Estuary, North York Moors and Forest of Dean. Thanks to Peter, Noel & Keith for various suggestions and information.
6 June 2015
- St Mary Bourne miniature Rly (thanks Andrew), Kew Gardens Rly and various tramways and sidings (thanks Peter).
29 May 2015
- North Glasgow detail, stations and features added.
- Tramways around Ashton-under-Lyne, and the Chew Valley Tramroad (thanks Matt), more Cambridgeshire & Isle of Wight tramways, plus the never-opened Newport Pagnell to Olney tramway (thanks Peter), the uncompleted Bray & Enniskerry (thanks Basil), Silverton Paper Works (thanks Maurice), Chilmark Quarry (thanks Ant), and Sikehead Mine (thanks Jeff).
23 May 2015
- Renfrewshire detail, stations and features added, covering South Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock. Includes the Bellahouston Park miniature railway.
- Thanks to Peter for suggesting various coastal tramways and WWI lines around Dalmore, Christopher for the Kepwick tramway (near Thirsk), Matt for the Broadoak Colliery tramway (Ashton under Lyne) and Paul for Eastham Refinery.
- And thanks to Basil for more uncompleted works around the country for lines that might have been.
16 May 2015
- South Lanarkshire refresh, stations and features, covering Rutherglen, Carstairs, Hamilton, Larkhall and East Kilbride.
- Also detail at Leckhampton Quarry, Cheltenham (thanks Dave), Seaton Sluice (thanks Basil), Gelli (thanks John) and Cheedale Halt added (thanks Keith).
10 May 2015
- Catching up on your feedback this week. Thanks to Peter for suggesting lots of tramways in Staffordshire, Wiltshire and Somerset, including the Monkton Farleigh Ammunition Depot.
- Thanks to Basil for clarifying the track layout at Port Richborough, information on the EKLR, and information about the uncompleted GWR lines to Cmwgors and Fishguard East.
- Also Brownsea Pottery Tramway (thanks Ant), Birmingham SME (thanks Paul) and Somerset quarry details (thanks John).
2 May 2015
- County Durham refresh part 2, covering Hartlepool, Seaham, Durham, Bishop Auckland, Stanhope. More colliery detail and wagonways, Hury Reservoir Rly, and Aycliffe Ordnance Factory stations at Simpasture and Demons Bridge.
- Plus more tramways around Bristol (thanks Peter) and Weycroft, Devon (thanks Chris).
25 Apr 2015
- Blackburn, Chorley, Darwen detailed, including ROF Chorley, Heapey Storage Depot and Leyland Ammunition Depot. Thanks to Richard for spotting Buckshaw Parkway was missing.
- Thanks to Keith for details of the Canadian Forestry Corps line at Starcross, Devon. And thanks to Chris for details of the never-completed Newport Pagnell Extension.
- Also Windsor Link changed to BR ownership (thanks John), and Purbeck Mineral Museum added (thanks Ant).
18 Apr 2015
- County Durham refresh part 1, covering Sunderland, South Shields, Gateshead, Washington, Consett. Lots of tramway detail, plus the Seaburn and Roker Park Miniature Railways.
11 Apr 2015
- Northumberland refreshed and new features added, including Newcastle, Tynemouth, Blyth, Alnwick & Berwick.
- Plus Derwent Water Board Rly through Chatworth Park (thanks Keith) and Weetwood Filter Beds, Leeds (thanks Stephen).
29 Mar 2015
- More detail and features for Manchester, Stockport, Stalybridge, Oldham, Bury, Bolton & Rochdale. Thanks to Chris for suggesting more tramways on Chat Moss.
- Also more detail around the Thames in London, with new industries and tramways depicted.
- And thanks to Paul for suggesting the Fairburn Rly in Yorkshire.
21 Mar 2015
- Lots of Ayrshire stations and features added.
- Thanks to Richard for suggesting a bunch of miniature railways; Bexleyheath, Surrey SME, Tonbridge MES, Margate Dreamland, Strand, Brooklands, Fareham SME, Blatchington Branch, Pontins Wick Ferry, Maidstone MES, Wayside Light Rly, Peter Pan's Pool. Also thanks to Simon for suggesting Kingsbridge Miniature Rly. And thanks to John for pointing out that the Stanstead Airport Branch is BR-era construction.
14 Mar 2015
- Leicestershire refresh and new features added. Thanks to Peter for suggesting various tramways.
- Plus Lowther Leisure Park Miniature Rly (thanks Mike), tramway at Borstal, Kent (thanks Dick) and the Somerset Coal Canal inclined plane (thanks Graeme).
7 Mar 2015
- Refresh for Scottish Borders and Lothian, including Edinburgh & Leith.
- Also a few new miniature railways; Stranraer Agnew Park, Watford Cassiobury Park and Mablethorpe early lines (thanks Keith), Ashton Court Bristol (thanks Graeme), Paultons Park and Chessington Safari Skyline (thanks Richard).
28 Feb 2015
- Cumbria has had a complete refresh with lots of new detail, features and a few new stations.
- And thanks to Peter, Richard, Keith, Murray and Chris for various corrections and suggestions.
21 Feb 2015
- Dumfries & Galloway updated and stations added.
- Also some more tramways at Barton upon Humber (thanks Keith) and around Ashby de la Zouch (thanks Peter).
14 Feb 2015
- North Wales detailing, stations and features completed. This finishes the map of Wales (if the map can ever really be called finished!).
7 Feb 2015
- Complete refresh for Yorkshire, with lots of corrections and new details. Thanks to Peter and Keith for various suggestions.
- Also Stockton & Darlington detailed, plus Bedford corrections (thanks Nick), Belton Park (Grantham, thanks Paul) and the Electric Rly Museum (thanks Mike).
24 Jan 2015
- More historic maps added from National Library of Scotland, including OS 6inch, 1883-1913 series, OS 1:25000, 1937-61 series, Ireland GSGS 1in, 1941-43 series and London 1:1056, 1893-95 series. Also added in Open Street Map. Big thanks to NLS and the OSM contributors for making these maps available.
17 Jan 2015
- Finished the updates of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire railways. Lots or ironstone branches, farm tramways and brick works added, plus more detail for Mansfield, Retford, Newark, Scunthorpe, Immingham, Grimsby, Boston and Spalding. Also some line colours have been changed so that tramways throughout the midlands and northern England should all now appear as light blue tracks.
- Also added a placeholder for the WW2 narrow gauge lines on Guernsey (thanks to Keith for the suggestion)
10 Jan 2015
- Nottingham updated and detailed. Also minor corrections in Flintshire, Cheshire, Tebay and East Somerset (thanks to Mike, Dick and Keith).
4 Jan 2015
- More detail and corrections for Sheffield, Chesterfield, Clay Cross, Ilkeston and Wirksworth.
29 Dec 2014
- Stations, features and additional details completed for Powys and Cardiganshire.
- Cromarty & Dingwall Light Rly updated (thanks to Mark for the information).
21 Dec 2014
- Ayrshire detail added, including lots of new tramways and colliery branches. Includes Towerlands Tramroad (thanks Roger), Ardeer Explosives Factory and Butlin's Ayr Miniature Rly.
14 Dec 2014
- Minor corrections to Darley Dale (thanks Keith & John), Leeds (thanks Martin), Conyer Creek and addition of Thorpe Light Rly.
29 Nov 2014
- Lots of new Irish additions, including more Bord na Mona lines, mine branches around Cargan and Dungonnell, Ardnacrusha branch, Portumna Bridge branch, Guinness brewery and Dublin detail, Dundalk detail, Londonderry detail, plus various small industries.
- Thanks to Peter and Rob for all the suggestions.
22 Nov 2014
- Pembrokeshire detail, stations and features, including the Saundersfoot Rly, Hook Colliery Rly and RNAD Trecwn.
- Weston Miniature Rly, Cricket St Thomas Rly added (thanks Paul).
15 Nov 2014
- Carmarthenshire detail, stations and features, including Llanelli, Bury Port, Cross Hands and Ammanford.
- Plus Beech Hurst Park Miniature Rly (thanks Tony) and the Cottam Rly, nr Chesterfield (thanks Mark).
8 Nov 2014
- Swansea and Neath detail. This completes the refresh of Glamorgan.
- Plus Berkhamsted Gas Works Tramway (thanks Tony) and RAF Burtonwood, nr Warrington (thanks Kier).
1 Nov 2014
- Detail around Haltwhistle, Alston and Brampton. Thanks to Peter for suggesting various tramways.
25 Oct 2014
- Northampton, Felixstowe and Preston detail added. Thanks to Chris, Peter, Michael and John for information.
- Bramble Island Explosives Factory, plus more Portsmouth tramways and sidings (thanks Gavin).
- Southsea Miniature Rly (thanks Richard), Stokes Bay Miniature Pleasure Rly, West Riding Small Locomotive Society, Haigh Hall Miniature Rly, Happy Mount Express, Windmill Animal Farm Rly, Morecambe Pleasure Beach Miniature Rly, Cinderbarrow Rly, Knowsley Safari Park Rly, Battersea Park Miniature Rly, Acton Miniature Rly, Brockwell Park Miniature Rly, Abington Park Miniature Rly.
18 Oct 2014
- Derby detail, Porton Rly detail (thanks Tim C), South Levenshulme Goods Yard (thanks Andy), Fifield Rly (thanks Richard), Fort Nelson branch (thanks Gavin)
- Tramways - Royal William Victualling Yard (thanks Paul), Basingstoke Canal Rly (thanks Peter), Grosmont Ironstone Mine tramways (thanks David), tramways near Humberston (thanks Peter), Deptford Foreign Cattle Market (thanks Peter)
- Monorails - Canvey Island Monorail (thanks Tim D), Rhyl Monorail (thanks Tim D), National Grid Tunnel Monorails, Chester Zoo Monorail, Blackpool Pleasure Beach Monorail
- Miniature Rlys – Beeches Light Rly (thanks Richard), Jock's Lane (thanks Richard), Jaywick Sands (thanks Peter), Butterley Park, Bekonscot Light Rly (thanks Tim D), Paradise Park, Hastings Miniature Rly, Weymouth Bay, Downs Light Rly (thanks Peter), Newby Hall, NRM Miniature Rly, Orchard Farm Lakeside Rly, Pugneys Light Rly, Wolds Way Lavender Rly, Beale Rly, Gulliver's Railroad, Gulliver's World Rly, Willen Lake Miniature Rly, Crewe Heritage Centre, Porterswick Junction Light Rly, Little Western Rly, Tamarisk Miniature Rly, Little Hoddy Rly, Safari Rly, Silloth Miniature Rly, Hall Leys Park Rly, Chesterfield Miniature Rly, Combe Martin Wildlife Park Rly, Devon Rly Centre, Exmouth Express, South Devon Miniature Rly
- Plus London Suspension Rly and Trevithick's Steam Circus
12 Oct 2014
- Northamptonshire detail around Wellingborough, Kettering and Corby (thanks to Chris and Peter).
- Various Devon details (thanks Chris), plus Newton Abbot tramways.
- Ipswich detail (thanks to Mike) and Braintree (thanks Greg).
- Butterley area (thanks Brian) and Crich (thanks Peter), plus Cromford & High Peak Rly (thanks Andy).
- Also Cross Gates (thanks to Martin), Devonport Dockyard Rly (thanks to Paul), Surrey Border & Camberley Miniature Rly (thanks Richard), Stanhope & Tyne Rly (thanks Pete) and the George Bennie Railplane (thanks Tim).
11 Oct 2014
- New Simple Map, for easily viewing complicated track layouts on top of a monochrome, uncluttered map.
5 Oct 2014
- Detail added for Greenock and Gourock, Dumbarton and Balloch, Falkirk and Slamannan, Peterborough, Norwich (thanks to Peter, Stuart & Jon for suggestions).
- Also completed the Cornwall refresh.
3 Oct 2014
- Courtesy of those nice folks at the National Library of Scotland, you can now view RailMapOnline over a historic OS mapping layer, as well as the Google Map and Google Satellite view.
28 Sep 2014
- Refreshed the area around Bathgate, including the Easter Inch Moss Tramway (thanks Peter L for details).
- More Cornwall (west) detail added and labels for the various china clay works and mines. Added in rails on the pier at Hugh Town, Isles of Scilly (thanks Peter D for this suggestion).
20 Sep 2014
- Port Talbot, Porthcawl and Tondu detail added.
- Lot of Cornish mining tramways around St Just and St Austell, plus Upton Towans and Delabole detail (thanks to Peter for all the suggestions). Plus tramways near Bovey Tracey (thanks Robert).
- Brickworks at Chandler's Ford and Bursledon (thanks Richard), correction to Shalford Jnc and addition of Chilworth Gunpowder Works (thanks Bruce).
- And detail added for Grantham (thanks Peter).
15 Sep 2014
- Hull detail added.
- Also labels added to the map and faster tooltips.
13 Sep 2014
- South Wales detail expanded to cover Bridgend, Pentre and Hirwaun.
- A refresh of Blackpool and Fleetwood (thanks to Ian for suggestions).
- A refresh of Harrogate, and some lead mine tramways near Pateley Bridge (thanks to Andrew).
- More detail around Dumfries including the Eastriggs Depot and Edingham Amunitions Factory. Also a little more detail around Pumpherston, West Lothian (thanks Robert and Daniel).
- Added the Leighton Estate Rly (thanks Robert), Worcester & District Model Engineers and Alan Keef Ltd (thanks Graham), Stapleford Miniature Rly (thanks John).
8 Sep 2014
- More Glamorgan detail, stations and features, including the Taff Vale, Aberdare and Pontypridd. Also the Cantref Reservoir Rly.
29 Aug 2014
- Monmouthshire refreshed, plus stations and features added.
23 Aug 2014
- Ireland updates, including Wolfhill Colliery, Deerpark Colliery lines (thanks Robert), Cavan & Leitrim correction (thanks Graham), Dun Laoghaire Harbour, Dukart's Canal inclines, Shane's Castle, Carrickfergus Castle (thanks Peter).
- And in Scotland, Lochaline Silica Rly has been added (thanks Robert) and Ravenscraig Quarry in Ayrshire (thanks Roger).
19 Aug 2014
- More Ayrshire detail (thanks Roger), plus the slate islands (thanks Peter & Roger), Fairlie Pier (thanks Bill) and Inveraray, Leadhills, Corncockle, Gatelawbridge, RAF Leuchars, Bonawe tramways, Almondbank, Muirtown Basin, Dailuaine Distillery (all thanks to Robert).
- Miniature railways around Knutsford (thanks Rog), Sutton Coldfield (thanks Ian), Harefield tramways (thanks Peter).
- Various early tramways in Somerset (thanks John), Winchester camp railways (thanks Martyn) Betty & Toms Quarry (thanks Dennis) and Port Richborough, Ernesettle Depot railway (thanks Robert).
14 Aug 2014
- Various tramways and small lines added for Caernarfonshire and a few more for Anglesey.
- Also more South Wales detail around Newport and Barry, plus the valleys up to Blaenavon, Ebbw Vale and Rhymney. Thanks for all the suggestions from Robert and Peter.
9 Aug 2014
- Cardiff detail added. Also detail at Caerphilly, Taff's Well, Pontrhydyfen (prompted by suggestions from John) and around Buckley (thanks Barrie for tramway details). Also Neuadd and Ystradfellte Reservoir rlys added (thanks John).
- Plymouth detail added, including lots more Dartmoor tramway detail. Thanks to Az, John, Robert, Phil for various suggestions and corrections, including the Dartmoor Prison Peat Tramway, Dewerstone Granite Quarries and Tregantle Military Rly.
- Some tidying-up around Killwinning, Ayrshire (thanks for suggestions from Roger).
- More detail for North Yorkshire, including the Ampleforth College Tramway and placeholder for the Helmsley Logging Rly.
1 Aug 2014
- More Forest of Dean tramways thanks to John, including Teague's Rly, Lydbrook tramway, Scott's tramway, Bishopswood branch, Bullo Pill tramway and Darkhill Ironworks branch. Also added Blaise Castle and Longleat miniature railways.
- Thanks to Robert for the Melfort Gunpowder works tramway and Garlieston harbour. Also found the Kames (Millhouse) Gunpowder works, Clyde (Glen Lean) Powder mills and Furnace quarry tramways.
- Plus the North West Leicestershire Society of Model Engineers (thanks Paul), original alignment of the Midland Rly at Bugsworth (thanks Simon) and the Hawbank quarry tramway near Embsay (thanks Cedric).
27 July 2014
- Additions at Colwick (thanks Howard), Blackwater (thanks James), Hastings Corp Water Works (thanks Robin & David), Canvey Rly & Model Engineering Club (thanks Paul), Nottingham Model Engineers (thanks Greg), correction to the Croydon, Mertham & Godstone Rly (thanks Bruce), tidied the Lynton & Barnstaple (thanks Martyn), Cemaes Brickworks Tramway (thanks David), Kinder, Trentabank, Langsett Reservoir Rlys (thanks Frank).
- And Aberdovey pier, more Forest of Dean tramways, Chepstow shipyards, Nailsea colliery branches, and Portishead stations (all thanks to John).
21 July 2014
- After a short break, the latest update includes more detail for the minor lines around Leeds and Lincoln, and the Millennium Bridge Inclined Lift & Urbis Funicular Rly.
- Plus St Helier Estate and Watling Estate Rlys (London), Lerwick Harbour tramways, Sanday Miniature Rly, Bedford Coporation Water Board, Greetwell ironstone mines (Lincoln), Claxby ironstone tramway, all thanks to Peter.
- And other details thanks to Ian, David, and the RailUKForum for Edisford Bridge Miniature Rly.
- Also been trying to find details of the Canadian Forestry Corps railways built throughout Britain in WW1. A placeholder has been added for the line at Windsor, but can anyone provide more details?
29 June 2014
- RAF Broadheath and Pwllheli Butlins (thanks Rog), Solva Waterworks Tramway and Conwy Valley Miniature Rly (thanks Graham), Dover military railways (thanks Lew), Harlech Military Rly and Porthmadog detail (thanks Dave), and St Anne's Miniature Rly and Manchester Metrolink to Ashton under Lyne added (thanks to all those at RailUKForums).
25 June 2014
- Updates to the Wrexham area with lots more detail, including a number of new tramways and updates to the Glyn Valley Tramway.
- Also East & West Yorkshire Union Rly correctly identified and corrected the Middleton Rly (thanks Sam), corrected Tadcaster sidings (thanks James), Knutsford sewage works tramway and Wrexham Industrial Estate (thanks Dave), Penarth Slate Quarry (thanks Dave and Peter), Frimley Lodge Miniature Rly (thanks Andrew), Dobwalls Miniature Rly, Gorse Blossom Miniature Rly and Merstham Valley Rly (thanks to the RailUKForums).
22 June 2014
- More excellent finds from Peter D; Sannox Rly, lots of lighthouse railways, Trinity House tramway in Penzance, Inchkeith, Inchcolm & Inchmickery railways, Loch Doon Aerial Gunnery School branch, RNAD Bandeath, Butlins Skegness and Minehead monorails.
- Plus Dinting Railway Centre (thanks Rog), Manchester Airport metro update (thanks Richard), Oernant Tramway update & a few nearby tramways (thanks Dave), Rhiw Valley Light Rly and Dylife tramways (thanks Graham), Three Bridges Thameslink depot (thanks Albert).
- And Skegness Miniature Rly, Evergreens Miniature Rly, Mablethorpe Miniature Rly, Pavillion Gardens Miniature Rly, Manor Park Miniature Rly and Abbeydale Miniature Rly.
17 June 2014
- Cheshire update part 2, covering Crewe, Northwich, Macclesfield and Runcorn. This also completes stations for England (6783 of them).
- Also added the Urmston & District MES (thanks to Rog & Keir for suggesting).
15 June 2014
- More great little railways from Peter D, including Devon Great Consols Rly and lots of the surrounding tramways, Leeds Sewage Works tramway, Bude Harbour tramway, Bude Canal inclined planes, Larkhill Range target railways, lots of mineral tramways in the Lake District, Foxton Canal inclined plane, Salvation Army Farm tramway (Hadleigh), Belle Vue zoo miniature railway, Mullard Observatory, Doncaster Cable tramway, Bailey's Hard brick works tramway (Hants), Cambourne miniature rly (Cambs), Lyme Regis cement works tramway and the Calstock wagon lift (although it's simply shown as a short siding next to the viaduct - worth Googling if you haven't seen it before).
- Also tidied the Plymouth & Dartmoor Rly.
13 June 2014
- Thanks to Peter D for lots more great railways; Haweswater Aqueduct construction tramways, Northampton Arm tramway, Royal Gunpowder Mills, Lundy Quarry Rly, Steep Holm and Flat Holm rlys, Castlemartin Range rlys, Aberporth funicular rly, Blackwater Reservoir construction rly, Vyrnwy Waterworks rly, Tentsmuir rly corrected, Barmouth Jnc & Arthog Tramway, Barry Buddon target rly, Aberfoyle Quarry tramway.
- Also Chelford Munitions Depot (thanks Roger H), Skye Marble Rly (thanks Howard H), Slimbridge Munitions Rly and Frampton branch (thanks Martin W), Ely and Soham sidings (thanks Peter H).
- Plus more Cheshire details, the Pendine Test Track, and updates to Talyllyn, Corris, Ratgoed, Cwm Ebol and Fairbourne railways.
8 June 2014
- Cheshire update Part 1, covering The Wirral and Chester. Lots of new stations and detail around the docks, including the Hoylake & Birkenhead Rail & Tramway Company.
30 May 2014
- Thanks to Peter D for a whole bunch of corrections and omissions; Derwent Water Board Rly (Bamford to Howden), Finlarig Pipeline Rly, Carron Valley Reservoir, Orford Ness, RAF Henlow, Ripon Camp Rly, Wicksteed Park, Cambridgeshire coprolite tramways, various other tramways and miniature railways.
- Thanks to Peter H for information on the Campbeltown & Machrihanish Light Rly.
- Thanks to Simon for correcting the ownership of Hawes to Garsdale (should be Midland Rly).
24 May 2014
- Shropshire stations, features and much more detail. Includes lots of tramways around Ironbridge and Pant, plus more canal inclined planes.
- Rugby MES, GEC Coventry MES, Ryton Pools Rly, Blackpool Pleasure Beach Express added (thanks to Dave), and the Echills Wood Rly.
- Original Central Pacific alignment near Wells, Nevada added (thanks to Matthew).
17 May 2014
- Thanks to Keir for suggesting the Manchester Metrolink Airport extension and the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Electric Rly.
- Also refreshed the Manchester Ship Canal Rly around Trafford Park and Salford Quays, plus the tramways at Carrington Moss and Chat Moss.
13 May 2014
- Various corrections and additions, including the Hay Incline Plane, Poole Park Rly, Wellington Country Park Rly, Shiplake Garden Rly, Welsh Highland Rly original alignment and the never-completed Northern Line extension (all thanks to Matthew). Also stumbled across the Fawley Hill Light Rly (best garden railway ever?)
- Added the Camborne & Redruth Tramway (thanks to Patrick). Also made some minor corrections to the Redruth & Chasewater Rly.
11 May 2014
- Staffordshire (part 2), covering Stoke, Kidsgrove, Cheadle & Newcastle-under-Lyme. Includes lots more industrial lines, including the Caldonlow Tramways, Consall Plateway, Woodhead Tramway, Mow Cop Tramway and St Edward's Hospital Tramway.
- Also added the Oakhill Brewery Tramway & Oakhill Manor Rly (Somerset), and the New Florence Mine Tramway (Devon) - thanks to Patrick for details of these lines.
5 May 2014
- Added the Wick Pipeline Fabrication Rly and the Blakedean Rly near Hebden Bridge (thanks to Matthew for details of both lines).
2 May 2014
- Staffordshire update (part 1). Covers Stafford, Cannock, Rugeley, Lichfield and Burton upon Trent. Lots more detail, stations and features, including numerous colliery tramways and brewery lines.
- Also added the Manchester & Milford Rly branch to Llangurig (thanks to Trevor for spotting this was missing), and some tramways at Van and Bryn-y-Tail lead mines.
26 Apr 2014
- Minor updates to Foxdale Mines (Isle of Man) and Easdale Slate Quarries (Scotland).
19 Apr 2014
- Major map update with West Midlands stations added and lots of track detail. There's 191 new stations and over 800 features, plus numerous tramways serving the collieries, iron works and brick works.
- Also updated the rails around Blaenau Ffestiniog following feedback from Richard.
12 Apr 2014
- Herefordshire stations, features and track updates. Includes the Hay Railway, Kington Tramway, Hereford to Abergavenny Tramway, Elm Bridge depot and Moreton depot.
- Also some Devon updates thank to Chris, including the Lundy North Lighthouse Tramway and Lynbarn Rly.
6 Apr 2014
- 150 new features across North York Moors, Cleveland Hills, Middlesbrough & Thornaby. Includes Mulgrave Ironstone Tramways (including Grinkle & Boulby Mines), Ravenscar Mineral Rly, Goathland Whinstone Quarries Tramway, Glaisdale Moor Tramway & Iron works, Roseberry, Ayton, Langbaurgh Ironstone Tramways, Esk Valley Whinstone Quarries Tramway, Commondale Quarries Tramway, Castleton inclines, Spawood Ironstone Mine, Loundale Quarry, Redcar Iron Works & Jetty (plus South Gare), Park Lane Lime Works (Pickering), Swainby Tramway corrected, Eston Hills tramways and mines, Skinningrove Zig-Zag railway corrected, plus lots of Teesside steel works, iron works, brick works and docks.
- If you want to know more about the industrial past of Cleveland then check out Hidden Teesside
28 Mar 2014
- Worcestershire stations, features and track updates.
21 Mar 2014
- Warwickshire stations, features and track updates, covering Stratford upon Avon, Rugby, Coventry and Nuneaton. Includes MOD Kineton, MOD Long Marston, Stratford & Moreton Tramway, various cement works, quarries, collieries and brick works.
13 Mar 2014
- Gloucestershire stations and features, including all the Forest of Dean industries, Sharpness docks and Gloucester Docks.
9 Mar 2014
- Detailed tracks and tramways for the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. Also added the Tintern Wireworks Branch and Beachley National Shipyard.
1 Mar 2014
- Option to toggle the tracks on & off added to the Places tab.
23 Feb 2014
- Oxfordshire & Berkshire updated. New tracks, stations and features, including the Bicester Military Rly, Banbury munitions factory, RAF Welford, Hook Norton tramways, Britannia Works tramway and Didcot depot.
16 Feb 2014
- Essex - North Thames estuary updated, from Rainham to Shoeburyness. Includes the Purfleet Camp tramways, Kynochs Explosive Factory tramway, numerous quarry tramways and updates to the Corringham Light Rly, Tilbury docks and Shoeburyness War Department tramways.
10 Feb 2014
- Kent update (part 2). Stations, features and south Kent lines updated. Includes Lydd Military Rly, Folkestone, Hythe & Sandgate Tramways, Hythe Rifle Ranges, tramways in the Medway valley, plus detail for High Speed 1 and the East Kent Light Rly.
2 Feb 2014
- Kent update (part 1). North Kent tramways and minor lines updated, including Joyce Green Hospital Tramway, Chatham navy lines, Davington Light Rly, Ramsgate Tunnel Rly, plus various munitions factories, brick works, sewage works, cement works and quarries.
28 Jan 2014
- North London refreshed. The most detail yet, with over 400 new features added and lots of industrial lines.
- Also Drusillas Park Railway added (thanks to Sussex Trains Online) and the Ruislip Lido Railway.
18 Jan 2014
- Sussex railways updated, plus stations and features. New railways include Brighton Palace Pier Tramway, Eastbourne Electric Tramway. Eastbourne Miniature Steam Rly, Pett Level Tramway (Winchelsea beach) and the visible parts of the Ouse Valley Rly (which never opened).
- Plus some detail added around Middlewich in Cheshire (thanks to Mr R Whitby for details of the various industries).
12 Jan 2014
- South London detail added for RAF Kidbrooke, Crayford Ness, Bricklayers' Arms, Nine Elms, Battersea, Chelsea Basin, Waddon Marsh and Stoats Nest.
6 Jan 2014
- Isle of Wight, Jersey and Surrey railways updated with stations and features added. Added the Bisley, Deepcut, Blackdown Rly and numerous industrial lines.
4 Jan 2014
- Hampshire railways updated. Added Portsdown & Horndean Light Rly, Riverside Park Light Rly, and various military lines at Haslar, RAF Calshot, Hurst Castle, Browndown, Monckton, Priddy's Hard, Whale Island, Tipner Point, Horsea Island, Bramley, Longmoor and Farnborough. Plus Southampton and Portsmouth docks railways.
31 Dec 2013
- Wiltshire updated with stations and features. Added the Porton Light Rly, Fovant Military Rly and Larkhill Military Rly, with lots of other updates including Swindon railway works, Westbury ironstone lines, Corsham quarry lines, Tidworth Military Rly and the Highworth Branch.
- Minor corrections to the Bedfordshire clay pit railways near Ridgmont (thanks to Peter).
28 Dec 2013
- Dorset updated, with new detail, stations and features. Portland tramways updated, as are the Middlebere Plateway and Furzebrook Rly. New branches to Blandford Camp, Holton Heath cordite factory and West Moors military fuel depot, and the branches to Bovington Camp and Salterns Pier have been updated.
23 Dec 2013
- The US Map is now available. At the moment the US map covers Hawaii, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Oregon and southern Idaho, albeit in an early version without some of the features of the UK & Ireland map. The emphasis is on the network of various companies and long-forgotten lines, rather than current lines and industrial spurs. Updates will be issued slowly, but development emphasis will continue to be on the UK map for the time being. Feedback, corrections and submissions are appreciated as always.
21 Dec 2013
- Various Scottish industrial lines added, including Seaton Tile & Brick Works Rly, Almond Valley Light Rly, Foyers Aluminium Works and various peat & forestry railways. Details of the Aviemore Light Rly, Dornoch Forest Rly, Stornoway to Branahuie Rly and Tentsmuir Rly still missing.
18 Dec 2013
- Internet Explorer bug fixed allowing the map page to be viewed in older versions (fingers crossed). This should allow versions IE6 to IE9 to work on Windows XP. If you still have problems then try turning off IE's Quirks mode (F12, select Document Mode: IE Standards). If you still have problems please contact me with details at Feedback@RailMapOnline.com
17 Dec 2013
- London docks updated with much more detail.
- Kinver Light Railway added (thanks to Peter) and also the Kinver Miniature Rly.
12 Dec 2013
- Bristol and South Gloucestershire stations and features added, and a lot more detail to Bristol and Avonmouth.
8 Dec 2013
- Somerset updated with stations and features added. Detailed areas include Bridgwater, Bath, Portishead, Weston-Super-Mare and Radstock. New lines include Birnbeck Pier Tramway and Clevedon Miniature Railway. Much more detail for the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Rly and the West Somerset Mineral Rly.
2 Dec 2013
- Liverpool and remaining part of Lancashire updated, with stations and features. High detail for Liverpool, St Helens, Widnes and Wigan.
26 Nov 2013
- Remaining stations and features for Greater Manchester added, including line updates. Added Manchester Ship Canal Rly and Walton Rd Park Miniature Rly.
24 Nov 2013
- Stations and features for Manchester L&YR and LNWR lines. Various lines updated and a few new industrial tracks.
- Update to colliery lines at Varteg, near Blaenavon (thanks to Graham for providing corrections).
21 Nov 2013
- More Irish updates, including the Midland Irish Peat Rly, update to the Fintona Horse Tramway and Curragh Military Camp Rly, plus a representation of the Corrib Gas Pipeline Rly.
- Also added in an estimate of the Jersey Rly occupation line to St Ouen Bay and corrected the route at St Aubin.
16 Nov 2013
- Irish industrial railways added, including Guinness Brewery Tramway, Dublin Gas Works, Lough Meela Mineral Rly, Carnlough Lime Co, Arklow Tramways and Ovoca Tramway.
- Error with display of Seconds corrected.
13 Nov 2013
- Kinlochleven Railway and Twyford Waterworks Railway added.
11 Nov 2013
- A whole bunch of miniature railways added: Bentley Miniature Rly, Bickington Steam Rly, Brookside Miniature Rly, Cuckoo Hill Rly, Dragon Miniature Rly, East Herts Miniature Rly, Evesham Vale Light Rly, Exbury Gardens Rly, Fancott Miniature Rly, Ferry Meadows Rly, Grosvenor Park Miniature Rly, Hollybush Rly, Littlehampton Rly, Mortocombe Rly, Rhyl Miniature Rly, Sherwood Forest Rly, Shibden Miniature Rly, South Downs Light Rly, Stansted Park Light Rly, Swanley New Barn Rly, Weston Park Rly, Woodseaves Miniature Rly.
- Corrections to Sutton Bridge (thanks to Mr Evans).
3 Nov 2013
- Suffolk updates, including the Orford Ness railway. Also the wharfs at Woodbridge and Melton (thanks Michael).
23 Oct 2013
- Barking Park Light Rly added (thanks Michael).
13 Oct 2013
- Buckinghamshire stations and features added. Minor track updates, including the Brill Tramway.
7 Oct 2013
- Northamptonshire stations and features added, plus track updates. Includes addition of Billing Aquadrome Rly, Blakesley Hall Miniature Rly and Hunsbury Hill Industrial Museum.
5 Oct 2013
- Irish railway companies now added to the Legend. This completes the UK & Ireland map legend.
30 Sep 2013
- About 200 new features added to Yorkshire, mainly around Cleveland & Bradford.
- Added the Bowling Tramways & Low Moor Tramways, and updated the Rosedale Rly.
28 Sep 2013
- Leicestershire & Rutland stations and features added, plus many track updates. Includes addition of the Burton & Ashby Light Rly and a number of small tramways.
- Updates to the Porthgain Tramway, and addition of Hook Colliery Rly and RNAD Dean Hill (thanks Tom), and the Wells Harbour Rly.
15 Sep 2013
- Derbyshire stations & features added, plus many minor track corrections. Added the Wollaton Waggonway and Stanley to Chaddesden Tramway.
- More reservoir railways from Tom - Upper Barden Reservoir Tramway, Butterfield Reservoir Tramway, Scout Dike & Royd Moor Reservoir Rly, and Grwyne Fawr Reservoir Rly.
12 Sep 2013
- Thanks to Tom for providing the Stocks Reservoir Rly, Grassholme Reservoir Rly, Catcleugh Reservoir Rly, Newcastle & Gateshead Water Co. Tramway & Horlsey Pit Waggonway.
- Thanks to Michael for providing the Waldringfield Cement Works Tramway.
- Also added the Comrie Railroad (which is for sale!) and the Greengates Quarry Tramway near Grassholme.
10 Sep 2013
- Nottinghamshire stations and features added, plus minor track updates.
- Colonel Leather's Forestry Railway corrected and minor Northumbrian additions (thanks Tom), and some East Anglian additions (thanks Michael).
7 Sep 2013
- Norfolk stations and features added, plus minor track updates.
- Minor additions, including Burwell Cement Works (thanks Peter), Eccles Road grain siding (thanks Michael) and some fenland tramways around Shippea Hill.
6 Sep 2013
- Northumberland's waggonways updated, and now coloured light blue to distinguish from later railways. Includes Wylam, Seatonburn, Coxlodge (Gosforth & Benton), Cramlington, Backworth & Whitley waggonways; Victoria Tunnel and the Walker Incline.
- Addition of Languard pier and fort tramways, and Felixstowe Pier (thanks Michael).
1 Sep 2013
- Bedfordshire stations and features added, plus minor track updates.
31 Aug 2013
- Cambridgeshire stations and features added. Also corrections to Cambridge (thanks Peter) & Stamford, and some minor additions.
28 Aug 2013
- Various tramways updated, including Holy Island Waggonway, Hill's Tram Road, Llangattock Tramways, and addition of Garth Pier Tramway.
25 Aug 2013
- Bangour Rly & Winchburgh Electric Rly added, plus some updates to the mineral railways in the area.
- More features (and a few missing stations) added to Yorkshire & Durham.
23 Aug 2013
- Suffolk & Hertfordshire stations and features added. Cheshunt Rly (route unknown), Bressingham Steam Museum, East Anglia Transport Museum added.
22 Aug 2013
- Essex stations and features added, and the Mistley, Thorpe & Weston Rly (real railway was never completed).
20 Aug 2013
- The Railways Archive now contains links to RailMapOnline from their accident database, showing accident positions placed on top of historical lines.
- Various military target railways at Bisley Camp, Okehampton, Ross Links, Redesdale, Silloans and Fort George added, and corrections to Morpeth (thanks Tom).
- Corrections to Wolverhampton area, Sheffield, South London goods stations and the Killer's Branch (thanks Malcolm).
- Tramways around the Erewash valley, Ticknall Tramway, and Blisworth Hill Tramway added.
17 Aug 2013
- Various minor railway added. Kirkby Green Light Rly & Torry Hill Miniature Rly (thanks Tom).
- Also; Moors Valley Rly, Eastleigh Lakeside Steam Rly, Royal Victoria Rly, Gartell Light Rly, Great Cockcrow Rly, Pallot Steam, Motor & General Museum, Beer Heights Light Rly, Amberley Chalk Pits Rly, Malden & District Society of Model Engineers Ltd, Mangapp Rly Museum.
- Worcester area track updates (thanks Malcolm), and more North East features added.
14 Aug 2013
- Cym Ebol Tramway updated. Talisker Distillery Tramway added. Watercress railways in Dorset added.
- Scole Estate Railway added (thanks Tom), and the Lake Lock Rail Road.
- Corrections to Morpeth, Stockton, Billingham, Elmswell, Kinmel Camp, RAF Sedgeford, RAF Manston & Tanmawr (thanks to Tom, Paul & Terry).
12 Aug 2013
- The Legend is now mostly completed, with all UK companies added (Ireland still missing).
- Some corrections to Valley, Derby and Corringham (thanks to Malcolm and Tom).
10 Aug 2013
- Northern England railway companies added to the Legend.
- Help feature added (look our for the buttons).
- More London stations & features added, and some corrections to London Underground lines. Also some minor corrections to S.Yorkshire lines. Thanks to Chris and Dik for all your help.
7 Aug 2013
- Dynamic legend now include Scotland and Wales. This seems to have also fixed the Safari 5.1.9 bug.
- Updates to Staffordshire, Suffolk & South Yorkshire. Addition of Cannock Chase Military Rly, RAF Stafford and Cold Meece branch.
4 Aug 2013
- New Legend feature added, with dynamic option that changes the legend as you move the map and zoom. Currently limited to Scotland, but new companies will be released over the coming weeks.
- Updates to Blackpool Trams and minor updates to the Walton Summit Plateway
2 Aug 2013
- Major update to London railways, with South London stations and features added, many LU and surface lines tidied up and a few new additions. Big thanks to Dik & Yorksrob for providing corrections.
- Ammendments include the Hampton & Kempton Waterworks Rly, Central Croydon Branch, Greenwich Park Branch and approx location of the Crystal Palace Pneumatic Rly
- Other changes include some corrections to the LSWR (previously shown as District Line), re-colouring of some tube lines (including Jubilee, Waterloo & City), and the original City & South London Rly route under the Thames.
1 Aug 2013
- Some updates to Chirk including the end of the Glyn Valley Tramway.
28 July 2013
- Added brick works line in Ipswich and new Felixstowe North Rail Teriminal
- Corrections to CAD Nesscliffe
25 July 2013
- North London stations added and major changes to the London area tracks. Tube lines now follow realistic routes, as does HS1.
- Includes addition of the Beacontree Housing Estate Railway.
21 July 2013
- New functions to create hyperlinks for positions, allowing you to bookmark and share positions of features. You can add a query string to the RailMapOnline URL using ?lat=xx&lng=yy. Also automatically generate a URL from the info box (when you click on a feature) or from the Marker, when you see this symbol:
- Also added some icons to help identify the marker, stations and other features (minor change).
20 July 2013
- Isle of Man stations and features added. Also updated the IOM tracks, including adding Knockaloe Branch (IoMR) and Ramsey Harbour Branch (Manx Nothern Rly).
- Penmanshiel Tunnel added on the ECML, and Montrose Harbour Branch (NBR) corrected.
17 July 2013
- Minor corrections - thanks to those at Rail UK Forums for the feedback and corrections.
- Crich tramway updated, and Wantage tramway extended. North Devon & Cornwall Jnc Light Rly properly identified.
- Also various tramways across Wales and western UK have been updated so that they display correctly.
15 July 2013
- Irish map updated with corrections to many of the rural lines (eg Cavan & Leitrim Light Rly).
- Devon station and features added, and Devon map updated with some minor changes.
24 June 2013
- Cornwall stations and features added.
- Southern maps have had 'chunky' waggonways fixed, and a few minor lines added in Cornwall.
23 June 2013
- Page layout tidied (minor changes).
- Email and social network links added to page header. This should also speed up page loading.
- Instructions added to the Info sidebar.
15 June 2013
- Yorkshire & Lancashire stations and features added.
- Minor corrections to Yorkshire maps.
- Some website reorganisation, including creation of a privacy & cookie page.
- Addition of Google Analytics to track website use.
8 June 2013
- Cumbria stations and features added.
- Corrected maps for NE England & Cumbria, including fixed tramways to display same as other tracks (e.g. Victoria Tunnel in Newcastle).
2 June 2013
- Other features (junctions, industries) now added to the map as green markers on higher zooms.
- Stations and features updated to include Northumberland, Durham, N.Yorks, Lincs.
- Station search updated to include all areas.
26 May 2013
- Company list now includes Scotland and Eastern England.
- Tooltip labels for stations when using higher zooms.
- Company list responds better to Area view, and now displays company as rectangle when you hover over the name.
22 May 2013
- Search companies enabled, including map centre & zoom (Eastern England only at present).
- Company & Station lists dynamically change as view changes (companies view is only approximate).
- Drag the marker to a new position.
18 May 2013
- Search stations enabled, including map centre & mark position (Lincolnshire & East Yorkshire only at present).
- Info boxes tidied up - left click feature on map to bring up information.
Rail Map Online uses a Google Maps API to display the underlying map, with layers depicting the railway tracks and points of interest rendered on top of the map, again using the Google Maps API. Your use of Google Maps is subject to the Google terms & conditions.
The track layers have been produced by Rail Map Online in KML format. The station files are stored as Google Fusion Tables which speeds up the rendering and also makes for a neater display. The layers are intended for personal use only - if you would like to use them in your own website or publications then please contact the site owners for permission.
The KML files (the railway tracks, stations and points of interest) are derived from a number of sources. Note that due to Google's terms of conditions, every care has been made to avoid copying their information and other sources of location have been used to derive routes and locations (such as old Ordnance Survey maps that are out of Copyright) - see the Links section below.
Where railway information is freely available (for instance locations of existing tracks on maps), then in many cases only a rough representation of a route is provided here, with the focus of this website being on those lines no longer existing and the smaller, less well known branches and industrial systems. It is not possible to depict every spur and siding, but where significant lines are missing or errors have been made then please contact us so that we can correct it.
The primary source of information on old railway lines and the companies that built them is from various Wikipedia articles, and most of the lines when clicked on will bring up a link to the relevant article. Wikipedia is an amazing resource, and thank you to all of your who have contributed to the articles and put so much information on line for us all to use. Wikipedia also contains a number of Railway Clearing House junction diagrams that have been used to help allocate ownership of different lines.
As well as Wikipedia, the amazing RailBrit is a wealth of information on many UK lines, and many of their pages are also linked from the map.
Routes of UK railways, and positions of stations have been taken from out-of-copyright Ordnance Survey maps. There are a number of sources online, but the most useful have been the National Library of Scotland, Sabre Maps and Old OS Maps.
Details of more recent changes have been taken from various articles, including Network Rail publications and many of the modern tram companies' sites (linked from the map).
A special mention must go to The Railways Archive which is not only a fantastic resource, but also has enabled links from their extensive railway accident database directly to locations on this website.
For those wanting to explore old railway lines and get involved in preserving routes, then check out the Railway Ramblers.
Rail Map Online and the track and station overlays are owned by M Bromley. Please contact us if you spot any bugs and errors, or if you want to find out more about the maps.
This website and the railway overlays are intended for personal use only. They remain the Copyright of Rail Map Online.
Map Control. The map itself is controlled just like any other Google Map. Either use the mouse to drag the map around, and scroll wheel to zoom in & out, or use the map controls on the right side of the map. Different underlying map views are available from the Map button at top-right (e.g. satellite, street map, terrain map, historical maps), as well as the ability to turn on geographical labels.
Mouse Actions. Double-clicking on an area of the map zooms in. Right clicking on an area of the map places a Marker (a red symbol), which can also be dragged around to re-position. This is for you to mark a position or feature. Clicking on the Marker provides the position, or it can be viewed on the Tools Sidebar.
Lines & Places. Clicking on a map feature (a track or station) will bring up any available information, such as station name and position, or links to web resources (such as Wikipedia articles).
Sidebars. The buttons at the top-left of the map bring up Sidebars containing additional Rail Map Online features. Only one sidebar is shown at once, or all sidebars can be hidden to maximise the map area.
Tools contains the current cursor position (or map centre if the cursor is off the map), the Marker position and the ability to change the displayed position format. You can also remove the Maker from the map.
Places contains a list of all the stations currently displayed. You can choose to display stations (red dots, more will appear as you zoom in) and other features (green dots). You can also search the list of stations, or use the Area search feature to list just those stations in the current view. Hovering over the station list puts a temporary green marker on the map (if in view), while clicking on a station name centres the map on that position; double-clicking zooms to the station; and right-clicking puts the Marker on the station. If performance is slow then it is recommended you do not use the Places feature.
Legend contains a list of all the railway companies currently displayed. The Dynamic option will automatically list just those companies in the current view. As with places, you can search the companies. Click on the company name to centre & zoom the map, or hover your mouse over the company to show a coloured polygon on the map showing the approximate extent of that company's lines. The list of companies is slowly being populated.
Info brings up various information about Rail Map Online and the information displayed.
1 Aug 2015
- Stations and other features occasionally fail to display. Try changing zoom, or turning stations off and on. If that fails, try clearing the cache (might not be loading latest version).
- At high zoom levels a stray track occasionally appears as a straight line across the screen. This appears to be a 'feature' of the Google map rendering.
- Reports of the company list occasionally failing to load on some browsers.
Found a bug, then Email us with details, including which browser you're using.
Features in the pipeline...
- Ongoing updates to the UK map, including incorporating user feedback.
- Simpler map option showing Open and Closed lines (this requires a re-drawing of the maps, so is still some way off).
- Refresh of the map interface to make it easier to use on mobile devices.
- More US maps, creation of a US map legend.
Get in touch & follow us
Email us with feedback on the map content, or comments on the website.
Let others know about this website by emailing a friend, or use the social network links on the page Header.